[FX.php List] special characters and fm

Alicia M. Cosenza aliciamc at dso.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 12 14:07:12 MDT 2007

Hello everyone,

I have recently noticed that some of my web forms occasionally would
mysteriously not submit to FM for unexplained reasons.  After a lot of
investigating I discovered that certain characters will cause errors
upon submission including the character represented in html as “
and ” which are just different looking quotation marks that are
pasted if the user first wrote their submission in say word or
outlook.  This also happens with single quotes.

Is there a known list of these error causing characters that are
commonly used?  Has anyone found a cute solution around this problem
besides just using str_replace() or something similar for each type of
bad character?

Thanks in advance!

Alicia Cosenza