[FX.php List] FM Scripts vs. PHP

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Oct 26 11:13:00 MDT 2007

Derrick and Dan,

Great comments; being a FileMaker loyalist, I hated to hear the huge
disparity between SQL and FM, but I already knew it was pretty large,
so it wasn't a huge surprise.

I think the key here is what Dan pointed out, and that is the other
benefits that a FM-based web app offer. When clients ask me why I use
FM as the back-end as opposed to MySQL, which is free and faster, I
always point out that FileMaker is an excellent tool in the office,
and can provide user ease that a quick-and-dirty db like MySQL will
not be able to do to the same degree.

I was really hoping FMSA9 would introduce a much faster response
time, but my understanding is that the XML bottleneck is pretty much
the same as it was with FMSA 8; is my understanding correct? I have
both running here, but haven't noticed any difference.

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting for all versions of FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting