[FX.php List] Strange occurrence w/ FMP8 databases

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Oct 25 20:12:37 MDT 2007

Hi Dale,

> I'm not sure there's anything inherently bad about having file
> sharing turned on. It's what people might do with it that's a
> problem. I think file sharing is traditionally bad for three reasons:
>
> 1. It's possible that someone might navigate to the FMP files and
> open them across the network, instead of connecting via FileMaker
> Server. This is a recipe for certain, catastrophic carnage.

Not a problem here since I'm the only one with that type of access...
although I do move files around from time to time, with a bonded T1
it's not a huge issue. I also use file sharing to mount external
machines for doing my server backups; the script I use saves to a 2nd
internal drive, then moves a copy to a separate machine. Without file
sharing, I'd lose that really great method for doing FileMaker
backups. With almost 40 servers to maintain, it's a lot to keep
backed up... :)

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions
      MSN: tech at longtermsolutions.com
      ICQ: 159333060

Contact us for FileMaker hosting for all versions of FileMaker
PHP • CDML • Full email services • Free DNS hosting • Colocation •
Consulting