[FX.php List] Suggestions on finding parse errors in long PHP pages

Tim 'Webko' Booth tim at nicheit.com.au
Wed Nov 28 15:03:46 MST 2007

> Dear Bob,
>
> I love Dreamweaver and am having a hard time giving it up; I know
> that Joel is a big TextMate guy, and I tried it, but it's hard to
> move away from DW when it does everything in one place. The drag,
> though, is that parse error line numbers don't relate at all to what
> DW shows. I may have to use TextMate for finding these errors,
> especially in a form page when it has 500-600 lines of code.

DW counts physical lines, which is just wrong ;-) A line wrap gets a
new line number, so the DW line number is higher than the real line
number...

Some versions of php also seem to ignore lines where the If statement
was false, so that included code doesn't count.

Looks like most suggestions here are for Macs (Well, my replacement
machine is one now, so the info is useful)... on the PC side, I swear
by NoteTab. By accident, I discovered it has a Find Matching Brackets
feature that has saved me sooooo much time ;-)

And I'll use DW etc for initial layout, but a text editor is much
quicker for writing the other stuff - DW takes forever to load pages
and move around for me.

Webko