[FX.php List] [OFF] Those Whacky End Users

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Nov 28 08:15:53 MST 2007

There seems to be no end to the variations on how end users can get
"creative" to circumvent the "perfect" systems we design. I'm looking
for some perspective on how to handle them.

In a current project, I have an "interview" process where end users
will complete the process once, but sometimes they need to do it
twice (or more) for additional household members.  End users LOVE the
feature, saving them time in retyping common information. At the end
of the process, they are given an option to end or loop back and
repeat the process.  Based on this choice, I accommodate both choices
by either ending the session or continuing the session with reset
variables.  Fine.

It turns out that some folks don't proceed to the end.  They stop at
the "Record Created" screen and then
get creative on how to repeat the process for the next person.  In
some cases, they go back to their email (Personalized emails were
sent to start the process) and use the link to initiate a whole new
interview process. In other cases, they simply return to the first
screen.

The problem is...when they start the new process, they are actually
continuing the previous session because it was never ended or reset
gracefully. Argh. I was going to ask advice on how to handle, but the
answer is clear..just add another layer of session handling to test
for incomplete processes.

This is just one example.

So....my question is: Is this the way that the web development game
is played?  Design a seemingly good system for 98% of the users and
then double your efforts to plug holes for the non-conformists...and
let's not forget the BOTS?

If so, I am having serious doubts about continuing on my present path
of "whipping something up" for clients for short term use.  By the
time all the holes are plugged, the interview/signup/registration
process has ended.

Would enjoy hearing comments from the experienced members.

Thanks

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Schwartz