[FX.php List] OT: creating filemaker record with javascript - to track file downloads

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Tue Nov 20 20:56:38 MST 2007

Hi everyone -

I'd like to add a new record to a filemaker database whenever a user
downloads a .pdf file from our website.

My initial thought was to attach a javascript function on an onclick
event that would simply load a URL (similar to the URL you see if you
print_r a fx result)
for example:
http://username:password@10.x.x.xxx:80/fmi/xml/FMPXMLRESULT.xml?-db=databasename.fp7&-lay=layoutname&-max=50&pdfdownloaded=1&-new

Obviously, it would be rather ridiculous to put all that valuable info
in a script that anyone could see in the source of the page.

Is there another way to do this to hide the sensitive data?

Or, does anyone have any better suggestions for a method to somehow make
a record in a database whenever a user clicks a link to download a pdf?

I suppose I could always load an ajax div too.....

Of course, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Alex