[FX.php List] PHP direct access of FileMaker data

Derrick Fogle derrick at fogles.net
Fri Nov 16 07:40:50 MST 2007

Open an FM database in a text editor. See the data, in plain text?
Sure, it's possible. Just difficult to reverse-engineer the file
format and not damage the database in the process of reading it.

Look at CAFEphp. See it connects to FM without server? Sure, it's
possible. It's not even that expensive, and fairly easy.

Look at FM Server. See it has a PHP API? Sure, it's possible. Just a
little expensive, and a little difficult. But, it works really well
once it is set up.

The simplest solution to your problem, from my perspective, is
modifying the export of the data from the customer's database so that
you have all the data from all the tables to mirror in your MySQL DB.
I see little difference between the meaning of the phrases "don't/
doesn't want" and "not possible" in the context of this thread.
Dozens of FM developers on this list could create output scripts that
would give you exactly what you want, given a chance and fair payment.

Directly reading the FM files themselves is by far the most
difficult. But it is possible, and you have at least 3 other options
which just vary in expense and difficulty.

On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:00 PM, Paul Novitski wrote:

> As a programmer it's hard for me to take it seriously when someone
> says, "it's not possible."  'Difficult' and 'expensive' I can
> understand, but 'impossible' doesn't seem credible.

Derrick Fogle
derrick at fogles.net