[FX.php List] Limiting fields returned

Carl Anderson Carl.Anderson at asu.edu
Thu Nov 15 11:39:08 MST 2007

Good day, list:

Is there any way, whatsoever, of limiting which fields are returned from an
FX.php query?

The reason I ask is that we have a table/layout that has a bunch of related
fields, and calculations, and all sorts of nonsense...but it happens to be
the only place that certain data lie.

Right now, I'm trying to calculate an average on four numeric fields that
are in every record (they're exam scores), so what I'm doing is pulling in
every record, then looping through that result set, and on each record I
loop through to see if the fields have data--if so, I add the score to a
temp array, increment a counter, and so on.

On a result set of roughly 600, it's taking between 2.5 and 5 minutes (I
suspect it's dependent upon what else is going on, on the server).
Thankfully I'm using FXneoCache to deal with subsequent loads, but the
initial one is killing me.

Thus the crux of the question: Is there any way to limit what I get back
from FileMaker, to only the four (or so) fields that contain the scores?
I'm guessing that would seriously cut down on the processing time.

Thanks for any tips.

--
Carl Anderson
Technical Support Analyst