[FX.php List] PHP.ini question

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Thu Nov 1 08:11:11 MDT 2007

There's a simple answer to that question: it is not practical.

If I were to have a server that matched every single one of my
clients' live environments, I'd need a mix of Mac and Windows servers,
some using SSL, some using Kerberos, some running FileMaker 6
Unlimited, some running FMSA 7, some running FMSA 8, some running
PHP4, some running PHP5... and I'd never be able to perfectly match
the combination of firewalls and routers and DMZs and ports open and....

The PHP5 version installed on OS X Leopard doesn't come with PEAR
supported. So now we can add that to our list of exceptions and quirks.

You get the idea. The other alternative would be to dictate to our
clients what they can deploy on. I don't know about the clients you
work with, but we almost never have that luxury.

The better solution is to write code that toggles settings based on
platform and/or works with as many installation scenarios as possible.
This means we've had to learn more than we thought about paths and
$_SERVER variables on different platforms.

Dale

On Nov 1, 2007, at 1:55 AM, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:

> And why are you running different versions?
>
> A real test environment should always be identical to the production
> environment
>
> ggt
>
> On 11/1/07, Dale Bengston <dbengston at preservationstudio.com> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I'm putting my money on paths. Can you post the code that produces
>> different results on the different servers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dale
>>
>> On Oct 31, 2007, at 9:41 PM, John Funk wrote:
>>
>>> This may not be the place but I need to find out why on my Apache
>>> test
>>> server (Mac OS), can I use the PHP function (Require_Once) /

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org