[FX.php List] Somewhat [Off Topic] How to tell your local computers which is a domain-named server

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Fri May 25 16:12:42 MDT 2007

dan and Kevin,

Thanks again for your help. It works!

First I used BBEdit to look around at hidden files and directories, using the "Open Hidden..." menu item. I found and opened (just to look at) the "hosts" file. Its contents seemed to be all on one line, so I selected the "show invisibles" option. That convinced me that I didn't want to edit it myself using BBEdit, though I did use BBEdit to save a backup copy.

Then I used Terminal to do the "sudo pico /etc/hosts" and figured out how to use that text editor and save. When I saved, the BBEdit window updated too, and actually the invisible went away and the content was no longer all on one line, and my new 192.168.1.103 lab.troymeyers.com entry was on the bottom line.

Then as directed by the Middleware page, I did "sudo niload -v -m hosts . < /etc/hosts" and then tried my web page again. Works fine now!

Kevin, I did look at the "lookupd -configuration" and it was just as you said, "Cache FF DNS NI DS". Since I didn't know how to change the order of that, I went with editing the "hosts" file method.

Thanks to both of you, you helped me get a better understanding of what I was trying to do.

-Troy