[FX.php List] Somewhat [Off Topic] How to tell your local computers which is a domain-named server

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed May 23 22:31:22 MDT 2007

On 24/5/07 11:20 AM, "Troy Meyers" <tcmeyers at troymeyers.com> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> YES please. I think it might well do it.
>
> Regarding the ADSL ZyXEL, it seems very clumsy to configure and it appears you
> can't map incoming port numbers to other ones on the local network. It may
> well be that the problem is that the ZyXEL is not as nice as the Efficient
> Networks router, and that's the problem.
>
> I'd like to try the NetInfo method.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Troy

OK, let's hope I don't lead you astray here.

Firstly, open NetInfo Manager (in Applications/Utilities - Apple+shift+u
will get you there from the Finder). Choose the 'machines' item from the
middle pane at the top. By default, only localhost should be defined in
there. Click on it to get a feel for what's contained in an entry.

It's a simple property/value pairing, so you can even duplicate and modify
the existing entry (you may need to authenticate to do this or make
changes). Once you've created or duplicated an entry, assign 'ip_address'
property the value of your FM box's IP address, and then assign the domain
name to the 'name' property (lab.troymeyers.com or whatever).

The only thing I'm not sure about is what value the 'serves' property
requires for your situation, but I *think* it's '../network' (no quotes) -
because I use it for resolving local vhosts, for me it's always './local'.

I prefer this method to messing with the hosts file because OS X doesn't use
hosts by default, unless you force a change to the lookup order. It would
normally be something like 'cache NI DNS FF' or similar, and would have to
be changed so that FF is first in the order.

To get it to work immediately, you may need to flush your local DNS cache by
issuing the following command in the Terminal:

lookupd -flushcache

It doesn't return anything, so if you see no errors, time to test it!

Hope that helps.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

by MailMarshal

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.