[FX.php List] Somewhat [Off Topic] How to tell your local computers which is a domain-named server

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Wed May 23 19:04:49 MDT 2007

On 24/5/07 10:27 AM, "Troy Meyers" <tcmeyers at troymeyers.com> wrote:

> In the past, from in-house computers, if we used the domain name
> lab.troymeyers.com, by some magic, either provided by the IDSL router or
> Speakeasy, the FMSA machine was accessed properly. It's unclear to me if the
> queries actually went out the IDSL router and came back, or if the IDSL
> router, due to its NAT settings, knew that lab.troymeyers.com port 80 stuff
> (and others) should be aimed at the local IP address of the FMSA machine.

Most likely the latter.

> A long time ago when we actually hosted our pages through DIALUP we had a
> similar problem, but it was solved by creating a "Hosts" file under MacOS 9.x
> and adding it via the TCP/IP control panel. The "Hosts" file was (I guess)
> just an A record that associated "lab.troymeyers.com" with the local IP
> address of the machine....
>
> But I can't find a way to do this with MacOS X. All machines here are either
> 10.3.9 or 10.4.9.
>
> Is there a way to specify "Hosts" in MacOS X, or does anyone know the trick
> that makes the ADSL router know better?

There is, and it's not actually all that hard. I usually use NetInfo to
create a new entry (under 'machines'), as OS X will use this before the
hosts file anyway. It works very well for resolving local vhosts during
development. I can go into more detail if you require it, but I can't
guarantee it will actually solve your problem.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

by MailMarshal

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.