[FX.php List] [OFF-TOPIC] A bug discovery in OS X Server and OS X 10.4 installers

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Tue May 22 20:14:09 MDT 2007

I think it's something about OS X Server. I bought a Mac mini, wiped
it with an OS X Server install dvd, installed OS X Server. Then I
thought better of it and put it back. I had the same symptoms Bob
describes when trying to install OS X over OS X Server, initializing
the drive as part of the OS X install. I had no such problems going
the other way: it was no problem to initialize the drive as part of
the OS X Server install, replacing the pre-installed OS X.

After thinking about this a bit more, I thought this was more
familiar than I'd thouht. So I went and looked at my notes and
realized that I did indeed also start the mini in target disk mode,
hook it to my laptop and initialize it that way, because Disk Utility
on neither the OS X or OS X Server install dvds would initialize the
drive. Disk Utility on my laptop did it, no problem. Then I shut down
and put the OS X install dvd back in the mini and started up. I had
everything installed in no time after that.

Maybe I blocked out the target disk mode part. I remember now
thinking, "I hope this works, because if it doesn't, then I have a
nice Mac mini doorstop without an OS on it, nor any way to put one on
it."

According to my notes, I tried the OS X Server (Intel) install dvd,
the OS X install dvd that came with the mini, and the OS X install
dvd that came with my MacBook Pro. Zero for three. Target disk mode
was the winner.

Dale