[FX.php List] [OFF-TOPIC] Anyone using OS X Server?

Chris Bisgard chris at hotanvil.com
Wed May 16 17:01:37 MDT 2007

Bob,

The following is from that link I sent to the Clagnut blog
(http://www.clagnut.com/blog/350/):

The first step to getting .htaccess working is to edit your httpd.conf file.
Open the Terminal, go to the Apache config directory and open httpd.conf.
You will need to supply your admin password:

cd /private/etc/httpd/
sudo pico httpd.conf

Use ctrl-w to find 'Override'. You need the second instance of the term so
search twice. You should see:

# This controls which options the .htaccess files
  in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination
  of "Options", "FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
    AllowOverride None

Change the setting to AllowOverride All then exit and save. At this point
one would think the job is done, but each user has a conf file that would
need changing too. Back in the terminal, move into the users directory and
get a file listing:

cd users
Ls

You should see a .conf file for each user on the system. As before, open the
conf file for your username and change AllowOverride to AuthConfig:

sudo pico Clagnut.conf

<Directory "/Users/Clagnut/Sites/">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Exit, save and restart Personal Web Sharing in your System Preferences.