[FX.php List] Find record using 'date'

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Sun May 13 17:03:15 MDT 2007

On 11/5/07 6:14 PM, "Erik Andreas Cayré" <erik at cayre.dk> wrote:

> Den 10/05/2007 kl. 4.03 skrev Kevin Futter:
>
>>> Isn't there someplace you set FMP to "use system settings" or
>>> something? Being in the Ugly American camp, I've never had to
>>> adjust for conventions on other continents, so I'm sorry I can't
>>> quote chapter and verse.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>> I¹m certainly hoping so, but haven¹t found anything global yet. The
>> significant part of the equation for me is that our G5 test box was
>> running a standard OS X client, whereas on the Xserve we installed
>> OS X Server.
>
> Was it the exact same FMS version on the G5 test box as it is now on
> the production XServe?

I think so, yes, though we have about 3 licences for FMS/A, so I couldn't
vouch for it being installed from the the same software disc.

>> There are some things to configure during the install for the
>> server OS, and I suspect one we missed is the time/date format. I
>> suspect that FSMA on this machine is using the system settings, but
>> we bungled them! AFAICT you can¹t set it afterwards like on the
>> client OS, just like you can¹t change its status from stand-alone
>> to directory member without a reinstall.
>
> According to the FMSA8 CWP guide from FMI, p.30:
> dateformat is MM/dd/yyyy
>
> There does not seem to be any configurable options for this.

Actually, I was referring to the config of OS X Server itself. Being a
server OS, there are some things (like directory membership) that need to be
setup at install time, and can't be changed after the fact (AFAIK). I'm
assuming that time zone and date format fall into this category as well.
However, see below.

> I think any observed differences can only be attributed to different
> versions of FMS(A). I don't think the OS is involved in any way.
>
> Initial system formats in effect at file creation are 'hardcoded'
> into a Filemaker file. This information never changes, and it may
> have a part in some of the reported confusion.
> This means you must be *aware* of your current system format setting,
> when creating a new Filemaker file...

Exactly, which is what I was getting at. However, I've come to the
conclusion that perhaps I am indeed merely confused. After doing a little
bit of backtracking last Friday, it seems that the subset of files we used
for testing on the G5 box were never outputting an FM-formatted date to the
web. Those files all had calculation fields for web-displayed dates to turn
them into full strings. These obviously displayed exactly as I wanted them
to, as they were not dates anyway. When we moved to the production box, all
our files came across, and it was only then that I noticed the date issue
(on files that weren't part of the test set).

So, I've come to believe that what's been said about the FMPXML date format
being hard-wired American is true, and applies in my case too. I just hadn't
put all the pieces together to explain the discrepancies I was seeing until
now. I don't really mind now that I know, as it's easy enough to deal with,
and way easier than a server rebuild to fix a date setting!

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

by MailMarshal

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.