[FX.php List] [off-topic] A Windows question...

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu May 10 12:49:33 MDT 2007

> It really depends on the planned use of the mounted drive...
>
> ftp is a possibility, which works even with Mac OS X client. There
> are several good 3rd party ftp servers available both free and
> cheap which give you better control than what is in Mac OS X (ftp-
> only users etc)

Unfortunately, FTP won't do what we need... she'd have FTP access
anyway.

> Windows sharing is also buitl into Mac OS X (Samba is the Open
> Source component under the hood).
>
> If you run Mac OS X Server, this is all quite easy, since Apple
> makes tools available in Server to make Windows shares etc.
>
> The right solution for your customer depends on her needs. You
> *can* do it with Mac OS X, probably even quite cheap...

Well, the problem is that it's not a question of us connecting to
her, it's a question of her connecting to a server here.

My thinking is that it's not going to be doable...

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions