[FX.php List] Snippet: Displaying Error Code Messages

Edward L. Ford elford at cs.bu.edu
Mon Mar 19 23:41:14 MDT 2007

I once used a similar technique below in my solutions, but have since
discarded it.  It's great for debugging problems and you don't know
what the error code means, but if you use this in a production
solution, you open yourself up to a security hole if the error is
made through a coding error or a query error that isn't caught before
it's sent to FileMaker, and essentially provide an attacker with a
starting point to try and see where any weaknesses like in the code.
Thus, I occasionally use this when I get a lot of errors and want a
quick way to figure out the problem, but for production solutions, I
only display a generic error message.

Just my two cents,
--Ed
http://www.edwardford.net