[FX.php List] Re: Mysterious asterisks appearing in fields

Chris Bisgard cbisgard at racc.org
Fri Mar 9 14:26:41 MST 2007

> Whatever is happening, it's happening between FX.php and FM. That
> leaves... IIS and the WPE. I'd point my finger at IIS first, but
> that's just personal preference.

I've looked through every dialog box I can find in the IIS manager, and
nothing seems to come up regarding page encoding, except that you can
specify that the IIS logs are encoded UTF-8 or not. I've been Googling
like crazy to find help on this, but all I keep finding are other people
like me who want to know how to change default encoding in IIS. Any
ideas of a good resource for this would be greatly appreciated.

> Still off the topic of the asterisk gremlins, but maybe
> specifying a doctype after your <html> tag will get you
> further on validation...?
> For example:

Yes, as I said, I added a DOCTYPE before attempting validation. Still
got those weird results.

> Are there any instances of "*", apart from those commenting
> out stuff, in your FX.php file?
>
> ggt667

Aside from comments, the following lines from various places in FX.php
contain asterisks:

  $currentQuery = "SELECT * FROM {$this->layout} WHERE {$currentSearch}"
. $this->BuildSQLSorts();

  $currentQuery = "SELECT * FROM " . $this->layout .
$this->BuildSQLSorts();

  $tempQueryString .=
preg_replace("/(?i)$beginTagLower=[^&]*&(.*)&$endTagLower/", "\$1",
$tempFoundSetParams);

  $tempQueryString = preg_replace("/skip=[\d]*[&]?/", "",
$tempQueryString);

> I would try to make a new table with just those two fields
> and check if the problem still exists...
>
> ggt667

I actually made a whole new database with just those two fields.

Chris