[FX.php List] Re: Mysterious asterisks appearing in fields

Chris Bisgard cbisgard at racc.org
Fri Mar 9 13:54:36 MST 2007

> That sure looks like some kind of auto-enter option in FileMaker.

I thought so, too, but I am 100% certain there is no auto-enter setup in
those fields. I specifically made a new database and defined the fields
myself to rule out any such settings. There are no options set in any of
the field definition screens, except to define both fields as text
fields.

> This may be off the subject, but doesn't a text input in a form need
> a value attribute?
> <input name="OrgContact" type="text" id="OrgContact" value="">

I wasn't aware a blank text input needed a value attribute unless you
were going to do some javascript on it. I'm pretty sure I have pages
that have passed validation without that attribute, but I certainly may
be wrong. I tried adding value="" to both text inputs, and it didn't
help.

> What happens if you add this to your FX query?
> 	$q->FMUseCURL ($useCURL = false);

No change. I still get the same result with asterisks (which, BTW, are
starting to resemble little gremlins wherever I see them, ha).

This is interesting, though... Thinking about the "value" attribute, I
went ahead and validated my page at w3.org (after adding a DOCTYPE) just
to see what I'd get back. I knew my code probably wasn't going to pass,
but the errors I got back from the validator were REALLY weird, telling
me that the <head> and <form> tags weren't closed, telling me I'd used
various kinds of markup where it wasn't allowed, and others. Does that
sound like a page encoding problem? I'm still worried my Windows IIS
settings are screwing with encoding.

Chris