[FX.php List] Re: Mysterious asterisks appearing in fields

Chris Bisgard cbisgard at racc.org
Wed Mar 7 12:32:24 MST 2007

As suggested by Gjermund, here's a screenshot:
http://www.racc.org/resources/fmweb/screen0307.gif

It shows the submit results in the browser on the left, and the results
in FileMaker on the right. (Note the pipe characters are expected, per
Chris's suggestion below.)

Chris Hansen wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Have you tried echoing out the data from the form on which
> you post the data to FileMaker?  Do you know where the error
> is introduced (i.e. does PHP think the asterisks are there,
> too)?  I'd be interested to know what PHP actually thinks is
> in that variable at various places along the way.  Sometimes,
> when I'm doing highly targeted output of these sorts of
> things I also like to enclose the data being output in pipe
> characters or something.  Basically, some way to ensure that
> I'm also aware of any leading or trailing invisible characters.

Hi Chris, thanks. My script does echo the user input from the form, both
the raw POST data and then the variables I'm generating from them. I
hadn't thought to enclose the data with pipes to see if there's some
invisible weirdness there -- good idea. When I did it, it showed that
the asterisks are getting placed outside the pipes, which I think means
that the error is occurring in this part of the script:

  $query->AddDBParam('OrgName',$OrgName);
  $query->AddDBParam('OrgContact',$OrgContact);
  $addRecord=$query->FMNew();

I also did a print_r of the $addRecord array and found that the
asterisks appear in that array. And here they are, encoded as '%7C', in
the FileMaker URL (shortened for ease of reading):

FMPXMLRESULT.xml?-db=CLP&-lay=Web&-max=50&OrgName.op=cn&OrgName=%7CRACC%
7C&OrgContact.op=cn&OrgContact=%7CChris%7C&-new

So, this means FX is adding the asterisks? Or am I confused (highly
likely)?

Thanks again,
Chris Bisgard