[FX.php List] Re-How to process Kanji?

Masayuki Nii msyk at msyk.net
Sun Jul 15 00:05:49 MDT 2007

I'm Japanese native, not English.

FX.php works with FileMaker XML engine. XML engine after ver.7 needs UTF-8 characters
as you know. If you make a page with UTF-8 character set, you don't have to
convert the character set. If the page is composed as other character sets such
a Shift JIS or Japanese EUC, you have to convert those character set from/to
UTF-8. It's not difficult to show the contents of database on the page. I guess
that it's tough work if you have to build a input form page by using Shift JIS
because you generally have to intermediate a conversion process after submitting.
For FM ver.6 is too much different but I guess it's not a matter.

I think we don't have to have a Shift JIS code anymore. Because almost all browser
can use UTF-8 on any Japanese computer systems. If your customer has a problem
for UTF-8 web page, it might be caused by particular kind of settings in httpd.
conf (of course, if they use Apache), i.e. the setting in web server has something
wrong. As the another case, I guess that the page might work with other legacy
systems. As my understanding, Shift JIS is not a requirement for Japanese web
site now. I strongly recommend to use UTF-8 to avoid a lot of problems if you
work with FileMaker Server.

Masayuki Nii