[FX.php List] Different REMOTE IP each screen

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at eschwartz.com
Fri Jan 12 17:33:03 MST 2007

Roger,

Yes, it goes back to AOL.  example IP is : 207.200.116.197

So I guess that the answer is proxy servers.

It's not like this wrinkle does a lot of harm.  I have been capturing
the remote IP address in a FileMaker log in order to problem solve
when a user reports problems.  I can still see the thread by using
the first three number blocks in the IP.  In addition, if the user
has successfully created a session, I can use the SID as well.

Just wanted to know what was going on.

Thanks

>On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
>
>>I am using $_SERVER['HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR'] to log users through a
>>five page registration process.  everything appears to be working
>>fine until today, when I discovered a user's session where the IP
>>address changed with every page over a period of just 2 -3 minutes.
>>For example:
>>         XXX.XXX.XXX.001
>>         XXX.XXX.XXX.198
>>         XXX.XXX.XXX.055
>>         XXX.XXX.XXX.135
>>         XXX.XXX.XXX.197
>>         etc.
>>
>>For references the user agent reports:
>>Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;
>>.NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR
>>2.0.50727)
>>
>>What's going on?
>
>The user agent identifies as AOL 9.0.
>
>AOL uses proxy servers, so it's possible that each time he fills out
>a page it's handled by a different proxy server.
>
>Is the xxx.xxx.xxx above all identical?
>
>Does it resolve to an AOL.com IP block?
>
>Roger

Jonathan Schwartz