[FX.php List] (slightly off-topic) advice needed for intuitiveway to sort categories and items within categories

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Thu Jan 4 09:55:07 MST 2007

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the reply...
I've spent some time with Scriptaculous - and this is what the example
in my first email uses...
I suppose what is most confusing is how to take that serialized data and
put it to use in FileMaker -

>From the example page:
Scriptaculous has a built-in function to 'serialize'
(Sortable.serialize('elementid')) the items in a list. This returns a
string that looks like the arguments for a GET request. It shows
listname[]=1&listname[]=2&listname[]=3 where listname is the name of the
list requested, and the numbers (1,2,3) are the items in the list, in
order. This would mean that the order is item 1, item 2, item 3. If the
result were listname[]=2&listname[]=3&listname[]=1, the final order
would be item 2, item 3, item 1.
# Scriptaculous also has a built-in function to get an array of the
sequence of an item (Sortable.sequence('elementid'))

It shouldn't be that difficult to take that string
listname[]=1&listname[]=2&listname[]=3 (etc.) and put it in a hidden
field and pass it to FileMaker via POST, but the only way that seems
logical to me to "translate" that back to something useful (make it
functional) would possibly be using a script in FileMaker.

On an earlier version, the same individual wrote something that will
take the data and write it to a mysql database- but I don't have any
experience with mysql and would probably fail miserably trying to use
that code as an example to build something that will work similarly with
fx.php and FileMaker.

The drag and drop could always be for "version 2" - but I'm still
lacking a reasonable and intuitive "plan b"

Alex