[FX.php List] Re: Storing session variables

Andrew Denman adenman at tmea.org
Wed Jan 3 12:44:29 MST 2007

According to the PHP docs: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

The default method of handling sessions is through files on the server.  The
php.ini file setting "session.save_path" determines where these files are
stored.  These files contain all of the session data (encrypted) and are
named with the user's session ID.  The cookie on a user's computer only
holds the session ID.

For PHP to associate a user's session data with them it needs the session
ID, so the answer to Kevin's original question is yes.  You can configure
PHP to pass the session ID through the URL, but there are security concerns
(as mentioned on the PHP docs page above).

Andrew Denman

  _____