[FX.php List] URLs in text

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Jan 2 21:34:37 MST 2007

I've got a bulletin board system that i've written and use with my
clients, and I'd like to add another feature that is missing.

When someone posts and includes a URL, it would be great if somehow
this URL would automatically be made into a clickable link, a la Mac
Mail or other HTML mail programs.

I'm suspecting that the only way is for me to write code that spots
URLs and automatically reformats it to make into a link. Is there an
easier way? Is there a PHP encoding command that would take

here is a link to http://www.cnn.com and turn it into "here is a link
to" <a href="http://www.cnn.com">http://www.cnn.com</a>

Any suggestions most welcome. If anyone's interested, you can see the
BBS in action at Crystal Gayle's site, which is http://
www.crystalgayle.com/gayleforce.php

Thanks,

bob at longtermsolutions.com