[FX.php List] Strange error message

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Feb 21 09:12:56 MST 2007

I've got a client's site that checks for domain referers, and we're
getting a strange error from one client's site:

Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-
effect which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the
session extension does not consider global variables as a source of
data, unless register_globals is enabled. You can disable this
functionality and this warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or
session.bug_compat_warn to off, respectively, in Unknown on line 0.

The site works great for 99% of their clients, but sometimes we get
odd stuff like this. In this case, a car dealer's site is using
Cobalt, who is a boilerplate website company that provides car
dealership sites for tons of major car dealers all over the country.
For this reason, the dealership can't just put up a generic HTML page
with a link on it, which I know would work.

So my question is this: should I dig into php.ini and change settings
to keep this warning from coming up? If so, how do I do that in Mac
OS X Server? I know how to use Terminal (barely), but wouldn't begin
to know how to edit the php.ini page... and hesitate to get in there
and muck around.

Thanks for any help,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING: