[FX.php List] Record Count after the fact- Revisted

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at eschwartz.com
Tue Feb 20 15:01:04 MST 2007

I'm baaa-aaack...with a wrinkle in the previously discussed issue of
post-processing a query result to accomplish a combines AND/OR search.

The problem now is dealing with PREV/NEXT links. I didn't realize I
had a problem until this point.

The process:
1) Perform part 1 of the search with FMP. Say it returns 500 records.
$searchResult[foundCount'] reports 500, but this is before the
secondary search and can not be reported back to the user.

2) FMP passes 500 records back to PHP and Part 2 of the search (for
loop) reduces the 500 records to say, 300. I can report this back to
the user, but only if I set groupsize high (500) in order to be sure
to count all the records resulting from the second step.  Set it
lower and the count could be wrong.

3) I'm ready to post the first 20 records, but I have 300.  If I set
groupsize to 20, I get say 15.  Can't do that. If I decide to accept
the 300 records and stop the for loop at 20 records, that would be
wasting alot of cycles just to to toss 90% of the data.  Plus, how do
I now deal with the second 20 records with PREV and NEXT links?

Am I thinking about this correctly?  I've already asked the end user
if they *really* need checkboxes versus radio buttons on this search.
;-)

Jonathan Schwartz
FileMaker 8 Certified  Developer
Schwartz & Company