[FX.php List] [OT] Planning for/handling Server Outage

Alex Gates alex at gandrpublishing.com
Mon Dec 17 09:33:13 MST 2007

Hi Jonathan -
I think measures can be taken on a situation to situation basis -
for example, when I process a form that web users fill out to request a
packet to be mailed to them, I first do a quick fmview() to test
connectivity to the database.
In the event that the database can't be reached, I take all their
information and generate an email to our customer service reps saying
the database was down and this info will have to be entered manually. (I
also shoot an email to me alerting me that the DB is down - and also a
text message to my phone)
That works perfectly find in that situation - but something (say, a
sign-up for a website) is pretty instantaneous - in this case, I also
generate an email internally saying add this user manually - and one to
me (and a text message so I immediately know if there are problems) -

This is the same for anyone who tries to sign in - if the database can't
be reached, an email is sent and a session variable is set so multiple
attempts to log in won't mean multiple emails from the same customer for
each time they try to log in.