[FX.php List] Interesting form problem and solution

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Dec 6 11:39:55 MST 2007

I just finished taking a 100-question survey that was written in IWP,
and rewrote it in PHP. The survey has lots of pulldowns, as well as
quite a few sets of checkboxes.

The survey is in 4 separate pages; each of my form pages displays
previously-entered data (participants can go back and edit their
answers), and then POSTs to edit the survey data.

On Safari, everything worked perfectly; all the questions were being
written to the database without any trouble. However, in Firefox on
the Mac, and on Firefox and IE on the PC, some answers weren't being
written to the database, or at least, weren't displaying in the
database.

After scratching my head for an hour, I finally looked at the page
source of the forms, and discovered that a lot of the checkbox names
(which are pulled from 40 or 50 value lists that client had put into
his database) had tabs at the end of each line.

When I went into the database and backspaced out all of his tabs,
everything started working.

So I thought I might mention this here on the list, in case someone
else should have a problem like this and not be able to find the
cause. This was driving us crazy, and I couldn't see anything in my
code that would cause intermittent failure...

Hope this helps someone at some point,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954