[FX.php List] [Off] Leopard and FMP 9.02 window activation

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Sat Dec 1 09:35:19 MST 2007

Bob,

We've got FileMaker Pro 9.0v2 on 5 Mac workstations, one a G3 and the others G4, but all running Tiger 10.4.11, and there is no problem that I know of.

I also had FileMaker Pro _Advanced_ 9.0v2 on a Mac G5 desktop and an Mac Intel laptop, and again, no problem, but those are the two machines that we decided to try Leopard 10.5.1 on. It was after installing Leopard that the inappropriate window activation started occurring, and there have been a couple of unexpectedly-quit instances.

Both the G5 and Mac Intel under Leopard have similar problems whether it's FMP9.0v2 or FMPA9.0v2, it's not just Advanced.

The problem is that if you have several FileMaker windows open, and you get a dialog box, possibly any kind, such as the Replace Field Contents or a custom dialog box, when you dismiss the dialog, the window that you were originally working in is not reactivated as expected, instead, one of the other open FileMaker windows is activated -- it gets the drop shadow and darker name bar -- but it is not necessarily brought to the front. You end up in a window that you don't expect, and if you don't notice that, then confusion reigns because the wrong scripts are displayed, creating new records with command-N makes the record in the wrong database, etc.

The wrong window is also activated if you use command-tab to go to a different app, and then command-tab to get back to FileMaker. A different window is activated than when you left FileMaker.

Another odd thing, not necessarily related to the wrong-window problem, is that sometimes typing command-F for Find doesn't go to Find Mode. The "View" menu highlights, but the window stays in Browse mode. Selecting "Find" under the "View" menu does work, though.

-Troy