[FX.php List] User exists - offer other names

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 12:00:12 MDT 2007

Hi William

I'm assuming the usernames are fields and not actual FM accts, correct?

Another thought, riffing somewhat off of Steve's:

Do a find for the requested username, but don't search for an exact
match ( '=='.$_POST['username']), just do a regular find (without the
'==').  That way, in one hit to the DB you'll get back

   willsmith
   wills
   willshapiro
   willshakespeare
   wills101

when the user enters 'wills'.  (those 5 are already in the DB)

Then you can loop through the returned results to see if there any
are exact matches.  If there is, then create 10 other unique
suggestions and loop back through the same results, dropping
suggestions if they match anything in the returned results, and
stopping once you've got 5 unique suggestions.  (alternatively,
create the suggestions one at a time and loop through each time, but
you'd need to make sure that you don't create a suggestion #4 that
you already created as #2)

One thing that *might* require some additional thought:  If you allow
multiple-word usernames, then 'wills' would also find 'free wills' --
but I can't at the moment see that this would be a problem.

HTH,
-Joel