[FX.php List] Accepting user input on multiple records simultaneously

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Mon Apr 23 08:31:07 MDT 2007

The only way AJAX would materially speed up an action like this is by
eliminating the FMSA queries altogether. This is something I'm
experimenting with, but I don't have a working version yet. It goes
like this:

Store the FX data array in a session variable (for example, your 100
products).
Send the $_POST from your Compare form submit to a php page via AJAX.
Use PHP to extract the records from the session variable based on the
checked boxes in $_POST.
Return the subset of records to the html page.

This is a simplified scenario, but it's a workable option.

You're right that many other sites use this check-and-compare
interface. The difference between what we're doing is, they're
probably using a database that supports OR constructs, so they can
just re-query for the records selected. With FileMaker, we have to
fake it.

Dale

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org