[FX.php List] Folder path?

Erik Andreas Cayré erik at cayre.dk
Sun Apr 22 23:45:11 MDT 2007

Den 23/04/2007 kl. 10.21 skrev Tom Sepper:

> Sure, the seek time may be faster, but the data transfer speed
> surely wouldn't be. I really think you'd see a performance hit
> rather than an increase with an external HDD.

I don't believe that to be true in a general sense. The performance
you get is a function of many things (as stated by FMI i their manual
for FMS).
I just moved a very complex FM6 solution with 55 files. It is hosted
with FMS 5.5.v4 on a G4DP450. Orginally it ran on an internal PATA
HD, I installed an internal mirrored array of HP 15K U320 SCSI
harddisks.

While I did see a performance increase, I was slightly disappointed
by the relatively modest change. I would have probably gotten a
greater gain using FMS8, but the solution isn't ready to to be
upgraded/rebuilt yet.

Unfortunately I don't have the lúxury of time and money to do
thorough tests using all kinds of configurations, so it will have to
do. I primarily did it for safety (striped array) anyway...

BTW. I chose to move Mac OS X to the array as well, not having time
to dig for a solution to the problem this thread is about.
I'm confident the solution offered by ggt is both workable and
reliable anyhow.

---
Erik Andreas Cayré
Spangsbjerg Møllevej 169
6705 Esbjerg Ø

Privat Tel: 75150512
Mobil: 40161183

---
»Kun p....sure mennesker kan ændre verden. Innovation skabes ikke af
'markedsanalyse', men af folk, der er afsindigt irriterede over
tingenes tilstand «
--Tom Peters

»Hvis du ikke kan forklare det simpelt, forstår  du det ikke godt nok.«
-- Albert Einstein

»Hvis du ikke har tid til at gøre det rigtigt, hvornår vil du så have
tid til at lave det om?«
-- John Wooden, basketball coach