[FX.php List] Yikes! mail() has stopped working

Jonathan Schwartz jonathan at eschwartz.com
Mon Sep 11 23:51:49 MDT 2006

Talk about coincidence.  Just as I was about to pro-actively beef up
the mail() function in my scripts, the function stopped working.

I've spent most of the day trying to revive it, to no avail.

To test, I just have a one line script
<? mail( "me at mydomain.com", "My Subject","My Message", "From:
admin at mydomain.com); ?>

When I run the script on the server, it runs without error.  Watching
the EIMS mail server console, the SMTP connection opens and then
immediately closes.  No message is received.  No errors in the log.

When I run the exact same script from my local machine using
localhost, the script also runs fine and also delivers the mail as
desired.

Have to conclude that it is PHP/mail()/SMTP/Sendmail/whatever is
broken on the server, and not the email server.

I just don't know how to go about finding the problem other than
performing the tests I have already done to isolate the problem.
And, I'm nit sure f I should be looking under the covers at PHP or OS
X Server.

I really need to revive the email() function...fast.

Thanks

Jonathan

--

Jonathan Schwartz