[FX.php List] Re: Output

Dana Coe thesquid at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 12:06:44 MDT 2006

Hi all,

I generate excels using the Spreadsheet::writer::excel perl cpan
module -
I've used the php class, it's GREAT, BUT you run up against a limit
pretty fast on how big your excels can be. (~ >1.5MB)

This has something to do with php's readline function from what I
understand.

The perl class has an adjunct class called ::big that will let you
output monstrous excels no problem. I can generate product list
excels for thousands of products - including photos - that are
10-25MB in size.

How to interface that with the php code from FX? Now that's a knotty
problem!
There is a pecl php class that lets you call perl code from within
php - this works great, but the documentation is really sparse. Also,
something in the code absolutely mangles unicode, so I can't use
that. Still, it's an elegant solution if the excel php class won't
produce big enough excels for you, and your needs don't encompass
unicode charsets.

Now I use FX to have php write a delimited file to the server
(results of my FX call) and call the perl script directly to process
the text file. Works great; all the unicode formatting is held.

To insert photos, you have to have the photos in BMP format. I call a
script from the php that converts them via ImageMagic from jpeg to
appropriately sized bmps and pass the path to the excel generator.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in the code, I'd be happy to send it
to them.

Regards,

Dana L. Coe

Infinite Harmony (Hangzhou) Co., LTD