[FX.php List] Exploding the carriage returns within a Filemaker field

Gary Sprung gary at gnurps.com
Sat Nov 25 14:02:09 MST 2006

Dale Bengston at dbengston at preservationstudio.com wrote:

> I think what you're running into is the inconsistent encoding of
> carriage returns across platforms. To expand on Gjermund's idea, you
> could use nl2br() to replace your carriage returns with <br />
> (generally for display of data with returns in a browser page) and
> then use explode() to explode the elements by <br />.

That worked, but why? According to php.net, it works on the "new line"
character, which I believe is ASCII 10. Filemaker says that any returns
within a text field are ASCII 11.

Anyway, nl2br() worked so well that I didn't need the array and foreach().
The function alone did the trick for my purpose.

Thanks!

Gary

--------
Gary Sprung