[FX.php List] On processing page for file update

Edward L. Ford elford at cs.bu.edu
Sun Nov 12 20:58:49 MST 2006

I'm working on a very similar problem concerning uploading PDF files
into FileMaker.  I haven't had much time lately to work on my
solution to it, but I figure now is a good time to ask some lingering
questions on it:

As I understand it, there are 2 ways to store the PDF in a FileMaker
container.  The first involves the file itself sitting inside the
FileMaker database, so that each PDF inflates the size of the
database.  Considering the size of my project, the database size
could get out of hand pretty quick.

The second method is to have FileMaker store a reference to the PDF,
and then FileMaker stashes the PDF somewhere on the server's file
system.  Does this sound correct?

The second method is the one I want to pursue, but I haven't figured
out where FileMaker stores the PDF files.  My server is Windows
hosted, so can anyone tell me where the references point to?

Another consideration I'm unsure about (due to my own time
limitations) is concerning access levels -- do I need administrative
access to the server software in order to manage externally
referenced PDF files, or can I handle that without having to bug the
server admins?

Thanks to anyone who can help,
--Ed