[FX.php List] [OFF?] Data driven dynamic menus

Kevin Futter kfutter at sbc.melb.catholic.edu.au
Sun Nov 12 15:00:06 MST 2006

On 13/11/06 2:31 AM, "Jonathan Schwartz" <jonathan at eschwartz.com> wrote:

> Actually, I was looking for the javascript-like expanding navigation
> pop up menus. That's the challenge.
>
> I have looked at Milonic.com and it looks like the right direction.
>
> At the moment, javascript isn't in my bag of tricks.....yet. ;-)

Jonathan, you could always use a more accessible approach that doesn't rely
on JavaScript, such as the Son of Suckerfish menu - it's simply positioned
CSS menus, with a small amount of JavaScript to make it work properly in
IE6, due to its brain-dead support of pseudo-classes. As with anything, you
can easily populate the menu with dynamic data from a database.

http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

Bear in mind that if you're not used to working with semantic markup, then
the approach used here might seem strange at first, but standards-aware
developers have been using lists for navigation for quite a while now.
JS-only solutions are generally frowned-upon these days for their
accessibility problems.

--
Kevin Futter
Webmaster, St. Bernard's College

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies.  The College does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the College.