[FX.php List] Value lists or Data (FMView or Mult. Queries)

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 18:09:29 MST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 4:37 PM, Bob Patin wrote:

> when you do a query of a table, and the layout has a portal on it,
> does all of the portal's contents get returned in the results array?

Yes, all fields within the portal are returned for all records in the
portal.  Portal data gets returned in an array within the results
array, so you will need to walk through that array (such as with a
'while' loop).

> isn't it just as fast to do 2 queries of 2 unrelated tables, where
> each layout has only the fields needing to be returned, rather than
> querying one layout that has a portal on it?

In my first FX project, I had one PHP page with multiple queries
because I thought like you that it would be 'cleaner' to keep my web
file close to 'raw data', with no relationships, etc.  I started a
thread here on March 20 2006 ("Portal vs 2nd query  [Was: Related
Records]) and the response was resounding that multiple queries to
the database can be *much* slower than one query pulling all related
data.

It does appear, however, that running FMSA on Mac is considerably
slower than on Windows.  My project was running on Windows Server
2003 and some people on this list were very surprised with the good
performance I was getting.

HTH,
-Joel