[FX.php List] Value lists or Data (FMView or Mult. Queries)

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Nov 2 17:37:54 MST 2006

That seems like way too much trouble! :)

So many of the databases I use for web sites perform double duty; so
often I have to work with databases that were designed for use in an
office and not for the web.

So here's a question: when you do a query of a table, and the layout
has a portal on it, does all of the portal's contents get returned in
the results array?

The reason I'm asking is this: if that's the case, then I've been
doing 2 queries in a lot of places where one would've done the
trick... :)

Does having a portal like this on the layout slow things down? I
would think it would...

Here's what I'm wondering: isn't it just as fast to do 2 queries of 2
unrelated tables, where each layout has only the fields needing to be
returned, rather than querying one layout that has a portal on it?

Or have I been thinking about this wrong? :)

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions