[FX.php List] Portal vs 2nd query [Was: Related Records]

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 15:54:11 MST 2006

Thanks so much, Derrick, that was very helpful.  Now I get it(!)

> Just remember that doing something like this is almost completely
> unique to Filemaker, because it is so horribly slow as a back-end
> DB for anything but an FM client. Consensus is that depending on
> your iron, you are only going to get 1-2 transactions per second,
> maybe up to 4 if you've got really hot iron.

I'm not sure how you count transactions in a scenario like this.  In
my deployed project, I'm using nested queries 4 deep (on a detail
page, looking down to great-great-grandchildren) -- not using portals
-- and I return 55 records (showing as if 'sub-summarized') in 3 to 4
seconds.  The screen fills almost immediately... it's the lower
scrollable part of the page that takes the last 2-3 seconds, and
that's perfectly acceptable for this project.

Thanks again,
-Joel

Joel Shapiro - FileMaker Pro Database Design
joelshapiro at jsfmp dot com
http://www.jsfmp.com