[FX.php List] Portal vs 2nd query [Was: Related Records]

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 13:09:06 MST 2006

Let me see if I understand:

A business has two contacts, Joel and Derrick.  Joel has two phone
numbers and Derrick has one.

On a layout based on the Business table, I have a portal to the
ContactPhone records.  When the portal is sorted by ContactID, the
rows would look like:
C12    555-1234    Joel
C12    555-1235    Joel
C14    444-2222    Derrick

You're saying that I could pull in these 3 related records via code
like your earlier sample:
> $prow = 0;
> while($value['Relationshipname::ID_Field'][$prow]) {
> 	echo $value['Relationshipname::Data_Field'][$prow];
> 	echo "<br />";
> 	$prow++;
> }
and then within the PHP break these 3 into their 2 respective
contacts -- kind of like a subsummary in FMP.

Is that right?

And this would be as opposed to pulling in the two contact records
separately from a portal of Contacts.  Or would you do both?

If you have any code already written that does something like this,
I'd love to see it.

Thanks very much,
-Joel