[FX.php List] 7.0 Server Advanced w/Apache on Windows

Etienne Le Sueur lists at jet-age.co.nz
Mon Jun 12 17:35:10 MDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I have been a subscriber to this list for a fair while now - lots of
good help here.

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1)       Is it possible to run FM 7.0 Server Advanced on Windows XP with
Apache? I know version 8 seems to have this ability, but I don't have
version 8.
I would prefer to not have to install IIS if I don't need to.

2)       I am about to take a on a rather large project which could
potentially involve FX.php, and was wondering if this solution is going
to scale well for many users.
I have built a site based on FileMaker using FX.php, and fetching
records seems to take a significant amount of time. The server hardware
is a Dual G5 w/2GB of RAM, so I doubt that is an issue.
It takes on the order of seconds to process a request of merely 50 or so
records. This is what gives me concern when I think about taking on a
larger project with FX.php

3)   Why is the FM Server Advanced ODBC connectivity option not used? I
attempted to use the FileMaker Pro 7 ODBC driver with PHP and it was
extremely slow - Is this the reason that XML publishing was seen to be
the way to go when working with FileMaker and PHP? I haven't tried the
Server Advanced ODBC driver yet.

If anyone has some suggestions or ideas about these, I would appreciate
your input.

Thanks
Etienne Le Sueur
http://www.jet-age.co.nz