[FX.php List] FileMaker API for PHP Public Beta Now Available

Stephen Knight stephen at fmwebschool.com
Wed Jul 26 21:31:52 MDT 2006

Hi Dan,

That is actually a very good question that has occupied me for quite some
time. The differences between the two APIs are at this time restricted to
their design. PHPAPI is a much more object oriented API which was
professionally designed, making it much more friendly when it comes to
trapping errors. Initially it takes some time to get used to the idea of
creating objects for different calls, but in the end it can make the code
much more organized.

At this time I do not see many great new features in the PHPAPI, with the
exception of better validation of data - which I personally prefer to use
pure PHP for. I would suggest using the new PHPAPI to learn better object
oriented practices and write PHP classes around that structure - making your
classes reusable from one project to the next.

In Kindness
Stephen K Knight
http://www.fmwebschool.com
800.353.7950 / 386.453.5843