[FX.php List] Break up a big form

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Jul 19 16:56:42 MDT 2006

Well, I think his whole question was how to best break up a
submission process into multiple forms. I do this when applications
involve a lot of fields, because in the past I've had to spend far
too much time with clients who said that they were receiving
applications with too many errors on them.

So I always take big application systems, where the applicant has to
make a lot of decisions (meals, conference choices, card payment,
shuttles, etc.) and break them into multiple pages. My clients have
been much happier with this approach.

I've noticed that a lot of large sites have gone to using multiple
forms with only a few questions on each page, rather than one huge
overwhelming form, which non-web savvy users always find very
intimidating.

You could of course put ALL of it on one page, but for me that's just
too much information and code in one page. I'd rather have separate
HTML pages to work with, and because they're so tiny, the size is
totally irrelevant.

Bob