[FX.php List] CDML and FX.PHP Mashup

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Wed Jul 19 12:04:46 MDT 2006

Hi All,

I have an ancient CDML site that began life on v4.1 many years ago,
and has made its way up to FMUv6. I have been sticking band-aids on
it for several years while I moved my new development to PHP and my
client ponders conversion of this old system.

My client has now asked me to do some things that would be pretty
easy with FX.PHP and not-so easy with CDML. I would prefer not to
spend extra time and more of my client's money to code this in an
obsolete environment, so I'm contemplating ways to graft on this new
capability with PHP while keeping the bulk of the site in CDML. If I
keep on this track, maybe one day all the CDML will have been replaced.

So, any advice on the wisdom of a CDML-FX.PHP mashup? I'm trying to
come to grips with how to work with both on the same page,
considering that CDML has FMP acting pretty much as its own web
server/cgi and PHP is going to have to work with Apache. What works
better? PHP pages with mini-CDML calls or the other way around?

Thanks,
Dale Bengston