[FX.php List] Best Practices for Forms

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Mon Jul 17 17:33:56 MDT 2006

Yes, I totally agree; that's how I do it. I create the record and
then edit it on successive pages. In the case of a shopping cart, I
use "temporary orders" table for orders anyway; the actual invoice
record isn't written until an order is successfully paid for.

In my dealings with large registration systems for conferences, etc.,
I've found that applicants make far less mistakes in their
applications when each form asks for less information. I always
separate credit card submission information, for example, and
normally separate other things, for example:

If a conference has several types of attendance packages, I usually
give the applicant these choices first, then go into other options,
then personal info (name address, etc.), then finally payment.

The other useful thing about this is that testing is easier when
there aren't 100 different fields on a single form!

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions