[FX.php List] [XPOST]Any interest in using FX.php with FileMaker 4.1?

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Thu Jul 13 12:28:46 MDT 2006

Stephen,

By the terms of the license of FX.php you are NOT allowed to sell any
product which uses FX.php code, unless you make some arrangement with
those who have created the base class; and since I maintain FX.php,
that means me.  You have made no effort to do this.  I appreciate
that you need to run a business, but you cannot legally sell a work
derived from FX.php.  In the past, you have sold related products
which didn't actually incorporate FX.php code and that's fine.  But
charging for a modified version is another matter.  If you want to
contribute to FX.php, that would be great, but it seems like you're
generally missing the point of open source.  Of course, you could
charge a fee to some people, as long as the source code were freely
and readily available for download from your site.  That way, those
who wanted to contribute could, but anyone could use it (or improve it.)

I have to say that I feel that your participation with FX.php is
somewhat disingenuous:

* You allow people to download FX.php from your site, but only if
they provide their personal information.

* You don't inform people on the download page that yours is not the
official site, or that FX.php can be downloaded elsewhere without
providing this information.

Perhaps it seems to you that no harm has been done, but I disagree:
you once forwarded to me a bug fix that had been found by someone,
and reported to you.  Because this was sent to me without the
person's name, that person didn't get the credit that they deserved
for that fix.  This also implies that the person who emailed you
assumed that FMWebschool was responsible for FX.php and its
maintenance.  You say you spent 60 hours on this project, I've spent
close to 1000; and many others have spent at least what you have.
And yet you are the first to require payment for your contribution.
Do you really feel that your contribution is more valuable than those
of others, or more worthwhile than FX.php itself?

You are welcome in the FX.php community.  If you want to sell support
for FX.php, or training, that's great.  But please give credit where
credit is due, and don't violate the license.  I am very pleased with
the open and friendly way in which people help one another in this
community.  And I apologize for reacting so strongly, however the
American legal system is such that a trespass once allowed is hard to
subsequently prohibit.  FX.php is free and will remain so.  That is
my promise to the community.

Sincerely,

--Chris Hansen
   FileMaker 7 Certified Developer
   Creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org