[FX.php List] Set Container Field

Steve Hannah shannah at sfu.ca
Tue Jan 3 12:22:47 MST 2006

I haven't ever been able to find a way to do exactly what you're
talking about - even though it would seem that you should be able to
do it.  However, This article (http://doc.advisor.com/doc/15011)
talks about setting a container field with a reference to a file:

"FileMaker Pro 7 offers a brand-new, exciting way to set a container
field with a reference to a file by using the pathname of a picture,
movie, or file from your disk. Use the Set Field script step to set a
container with the text pathname to the desired file, and FileMaker
Pro stores a reference to that file. Pathnames are absolute or
relative to the location of the FileMaker Pro file you're working
with. See table 1 for how to format the pathname.

Create a calculation field whose result is a container, and have it
resolve to the text pathname (see table 1 below for examples) of the
desired document; the container resolves to a reference to that file.
Because it's a calculation, the document in the container can change
dynamically.

Here's one you can use to amaze your friends. Paste the text pathname
to a file directly into the container field, and FileMaker Pro stores
a reference to that file, rather than the text you pasted. It's just
like magic! Not voodoo, just good magic."

It would stand to reason that you could probably use FX.php to set
the container field with the path of the file (see the above link to
see the acceptable path formats), and the image should show up in the
container field to filemaker users also --- I haven't tried this.
Please let me know if this does or does not work.

Steve

>>> FX.php_List at mail.iviking.org