[FX.php List] character encoding issue?

Derrick Fogle derrick at fogles.net
Tue Feb 21 09:02:02 MST 2006

Calculation fields can be indexed - except in cases where they
reference related data from a different table. If both your source
fields are local, stored, and indexable, and your calculation field
is in the same table, the calculation field is also stored and
indexable for quick searching. But, enough of that...

Bob Patin's note - using the exact match "==" allows the find on un-
modified email addresses - is a good, simple solution that works, and
we should all be using it.

Yes, I was the first one to recommend a crazy "calculated equivalent"
workaround. In my defense, official institutional userid's in my
current environment are the first part of the email address, and
there are two different domains that our users might end up having
(student vs faculty), so my userid and domain were broken apart to
begin with. Then I just got carried away with breaking them apart
even when I didn't need to.

On Feb 21, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Dale Bengston wrote:

> (I could use a calc field and Substitute to have a dynamic version
> of this, but that will slow down searches if the number of users
> gets big. So I decided to stuff the searchable email into a static,
> indexable text field.)

Derrick Fogle
derrick at fogles.net